lamb biryani video
This recipe is an authentic Hyderabad cuisine. For similar recipes read -
Cooking time one hour
- Lamb or mutton 1 lbs
- Rice 2 cups
- Yogurt 1/ 2 cup
- Ginger garlic paste 1 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Pepper as per taste
- Mint leaves 5 - 6 leaves chopped
- Curry powder 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Cumin powder 1 tsp
- Coriander powder 1 tsp
- Red pepper powder (optional) 1 tsp
- Cinnamon stick 1
- Cloves 4
- Cardamom 2
- Pepper corns 5
- Onion 2 medium-sized chopped
- Lime juice 1 tsp
- Oil 6 - 7 tsp.
- Clarified butter (optional) 2 tsp
- Milk 1/ 4 cup
- Saffron 1/ 4 tsp
- Bay leaves 2
- Cilantro for garnishing
- Cashews (optional)
- Raisins (optional)
- Grind pepper cones, cinnamon stick, cumin seeds and cardamom and make a fine powder.
- Marinate lamb with this powder, yogurt, ginger garlic paste, chili powder, pepper, cumin seed powder, coriander powder, mint leaves, curry powder and salt.
- Marinate for 2 - 3 hours least.
- Wash and soak rice for half hour.
- In a pressure cooker, cook the lamb. Use 3 tsp. of oil. Do not add water. Switch off the gas after 5-6 whistles and let the lamb cool.
- If you do not want to use a pressure cooker, then cook the lamb on stove top till it gets tender. This will take at least an hour.
- Add saffron in milk and keep it aside.
- Take a heavy bottom pan and heat oil.
- Add onions and cook till they are golden brown.
- Keep aside the rice after 5 minutes.
- On the lamb squeeze lime juice and mix well.
- In a different heavy bottom pan, layer three fourth measure of the lamb and rice on top of it.
- Layer the rice with the remaining lamb.
- Layer onion, saffron milk, cashews, raisins and cilantro.
- Cover the pan and let it cook for half an hour.
- Mix well and serve hot.